PLU Stickers on Fruit Tell You All You Need to Know About Its Potentially Toxic History.
These stickers help employees price the items, but they may also indicate whether the product is GMO and has pesticides.
These stickers help you read product information if they’re organic as they say so.
HERE IS HOW YOU CAN READ THE INFORMATION:
- if the sticker has 5 numbers and the first one is 3 this means it has been electronically pasteurized or irradiated
- if the sticker has 5 numbers starting with 3 or 4 this means that the product has been grown traditionally with pesticides.
- if the sticker begins with a 6 this means that it has been pre-cut.
- if the sticker has 5 numbers and begins with an 8, this means the product has been genetically modified. If a product is genetically modified it’s not organic.
- if the sticker has 5 numbers and it starts with 9 it means that it is organic.
If the product doesn’t have a sticker it’s either because it has been grown locally or it is imported but the sticker has been removed for suspicious reasons.
This system is not mandatory-some stores label their products as it suits them and others don’t even label them.